Dr Andrew Folan
PhDHead of Fine Print
Scientific, architectural and medical collaborations & commissions
2008 Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast.
Production of a series of digital images using MRI and CT scanning for the Imaging Centre, Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast.
2005 Mater and Children's Hospital Development, Dublin.
Production of a laser-cut steel sculptural installation Mater Hospital, Dublin.
2003 Haematology collaboration.
Collaboration with artist Patrick Ireland (Brian O' Doherty) and Dr. Sean McCann, Professor of Haematology at James Hospital, Dublin, in the production of an artwork refrencing to the study of haematology.
1997 Genetics project.
Collaboration with Doctor Ross McManus, Trinity College Medical School, in the production of a genetic portrait.
1996 Countdown 2000 proposal.
Collaboration with Professor Denis O' Sullivan, School of Cosmic Physics, Dublin and architect John Keogan (HKR Architects) in the submission of a proposal for Countdown 2000. A proposed digital clock / atomic time transmitter and public monument to celebrate the new millennium.
1994 Temple Bar Properties commission.
Collaboration with architect Valerie Mulvin, (McCullough and Mulvin) in the production of a main entrance door / sculpture for Black Church Studio, Temple Bar, Dublin.
1991 RIAI / SSI collaboration.
The Pillar Project, a collaboration between architects and sculptors (Royal Institute of Architects in Ireland / Sculptors Society of Ireland) to make proposals for the Nelson's Pillar site in O'Connell Street, Dublin.
Collaborative art and design projects & commissions
2003 Digital Surface Within Fine Art Practice.
A collaborative project under Culture 2000. The National College of
Art and Design, Dublin, The University of Art and Design, Helsinki and The London Institute.
Installation and performance collaboration. Project Arts Centre, Dublin
and U Man Zoo, Wales.
2001 Gandon Project
Shortlisted to produce a series of etchings of Dublin after the series by James
Gandon. Office of Public Works, Dublin.
2000 Leabhar Mor na Gaelige
Irish and Scottish poet's and artist's collaboration. Publication and touring
exhibition. Artworking Dublin and Gaelic Arts Agency Scotland.
1992 Irish Currency Design.
Shortlisted to design the series of new Irish bank notes. Central Bank of Ireland,
Artists group publication. Green on Red Gallery, Dublin
1990 The Great Book of Ireland
A contemporary recreation of the Book of Kells. Clashganna Trust and Poetry
Exhibitions 1992 - 2011
- 2011 Appertures and Anxieties, RHA Gallery, Dublin.
- 2011 Myles From Illustration, University of Vienna, Austria.
- 2011 Surrealism in Irish Art, FE Mac William Centre, NI
- 2011 Allied Irish Bank Collection, Visual, Carlow.
- 2009 Impact University for the Arts, Bristol UK.
- 2008 10,000 to 50 Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin.
- 2005 Machinista (www.machinista.org) Online exhibition.
- 2004 Impressions Galway Arts Centre, Galway.
- 2003 Dead Bodies Centre Culturel Irlandais, Paris, France.
- 2003 Black Church Studio, National Arts Club, New York, USA.
- 2002 Digital Prints (solo) Sligo Art Gallery, Sligo.
- 2002 Stray Light (solo) Ashford Gallery, RHA, Dublin.
- 2002 Holy Show, Chester Beatty Library, Dublin (touring).
- 2002 Leabhar Mor na Gaelige, Scottish and Irish touring exhibition.
- 2001 Arterial Ink. (solo) Ards Arts Center, Newtownards, Co. Antrim. NI
- 2001 Print.ie Original Print Gallery, Dublin. IRL
- 2001 A Focus on Drawing, Crawford Gallery, Cork. IRL
- 2001 John Kindness and Andrew Folan, London Print Studio Gallery,
- 2001 Impressions Franco-Irlandais. Cite International des Arts, Paris.
- 2001 Art and Architecture. Graphic Hus, Marifred, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2000 Arterial Ink, (solo) Ashford Gallery, RHA, Dublin.
- 2000 Arterial Ink, (solo) Triskel Arts Centre, Cork..
- 2000 Emperor's Wardrobe, O.P.G. Dublin and Butler Gallery, Kilkenny.
- 1994 Disasters of War Black Church Studio Dublin.
- 1993 Print Portraits Original Print Gallery, Dublin.
- 1992 Grafica Creativia Jyvaeslylae Art Museum, Jyvaeslylae, Finland.
- 1992 Crawford Open 3, Crawford Gallery, Cork.
- 2003 Profile 17 Andrew Folan Gandon Editions. Essay by Paul OBrien, Interview and introduction by Patrick T. Murphy.
- 2002 Arterial Ink Ashford Gallery. Essay by Gerry Walker.
- 1997 The Works Series Andrew Folan Gandon Editions, interview and introduction by Joan Fowler.
Bibliography / web
- 2005 Rapport Norwegian Print Council newsletter. In conversation with Andrew Folan by Elizabeth Schonesby.
- 2005 Artists of the old school, Cristiin Leach Sunday Times, 12th June.
- 2003 Printmaking Today, Summer 03 (Angela Poole).
- 2003 www.andrewfolan.com launch of artist's personal web site.
- 2002 Sunday Times 28/04/02 (Catherine Daly).
- 2001 Anois Temple Bar Gallery and Studios. Interview with Declan Long.
- 2000 Irish Times 01/05/02 (Aidan Dunne).
Conferences / seminars (Peer reviewed)
- 2009 ISEA The 15th International Symposium on Electronic Art, University of Ulster, Belfast, N. Ireland.
- 2008 Creative Boundaries in 3D Digital Technologies , Centre for Fine Print Research, UWE, Bristol, UK.
- 2009 Impact 6: International Multidisciplinary Print Conference, University of Western England, Bristol, UK.
- 2007 Impact 5: Slices of Time, International Multidisciplinary Print Conference, Tallinn, Estonia.
- 2005 Impact 4: International Multidisciplinary Print Conference, Poznan - Berlin.