How To Register
The learning support service will provide in person and online registration appointments throughout the academic year 2022/2023.
If you would like any support in advance of registering, please email: email@example.com
Am I eligible to register with the service?
Eligible Categories of Disability for the Fund for Students with Disabilities:
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder (including Asperger’s Syndrome)
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Blind/Visual Impairment
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- Mental Health Condition
- Neurological Condition
- Neurologically-based Speech, Language or Communication condition
- Significant Ongoing Health Condition
- Physical Disability
- Developmental Coordination Disorder (Dyspraxia)
- Specific Learning Difficulties
What documents are needed to register?
To register with the learning support service, you must be eligible under the HEA guidelines. Please see the here to check if you are eligible.
If you are eligible but do not have access to the appropriate documentation see here the Evidence of disability form which can be completed by an appropriate consultant.
What is involved in the student registration process?
Students eligible to register with the service will need to attend two appointments to complete a Need Assessment and Profile of Needs.
What is a Needs Assessment?
The Needs Assessment is a questionnaire designed to explore the types of support that a student with a diagnosed disability may require.
The student is required to provide evidence of their disability during the assessment process.
- It enables the college to apply for HEA funding on behalf of the student and allows the college to arrange necessary supports.
- It takes approximately 1 hour to complete and is completed collaboratively with the student and an Assistant Psychologist.
The Need Assessment has three sections:
1. Student details.
2. Background - information will be gathered on the impact of the student’s disability on their academic experience as well as details of previous supports.
3. Available Supports in college.
What is a Profile of Needs (PONS)?
- A Profile of Need is a brief synopsis of the student’s difficulties and the supports they require.
- Typically,the form is completed in conjunction with the Need Assessment and usually takes about 30 minutes to complete.
- The Profile of Need is circulated by Learning Support to the student’s department to make academic staff aware of the supports required.
The Profile of Need has four sections which include:
1.The impact of the student’s disability/difficulty
2.Supports required in lectures
3.Supports required in continuous assessments/assignments
4.Supports for Exams